Monday, June 22, 2009

Chipmunk Punks

Happy Fathers Day!
I awoke early for a bike ride up Basalt Mountain to release the second chipmunk where I left the first one a couple days before, thinking I'm finally rid of them eating my garden. I returned the have-a-heart trap to Jerome, who asked, "So, did you catch them all?"
"I don't know about all", I replied, "but I got the two I knew about".
Sure enough, when I got back home, I saw first one, then two, and later all three adolescent chipmunks. Frickin' adorable! They have come out of hiding, and are investigating the places where they smell either their parents' scent, or the smell of the plants their parents were feeding them. They romp around, jumping and landing clumsily, rolling in the dirt pile in our alley project, and of course, standing in the lettuce patch and eating their fill of our salad crop.
For Fathers Day, I broke up a chipmunk family, and now must temporarily adopt their babies. I guess I'll have to build a safe trap in which I can catch all three, and take them away together, to the forest where I left their parents. Either that, or I must share my garden with them.

No comments: